Saturday, May 13, 2006

The journey of this blog begins here... and as the name suggests, all the recipes I try out here are without an oven. So, if you are like me, with an oven-less kitchen, do not be afraid to try out these recipes, because even without an oven, we can still cook up a storm :)

It was after hearing my sister and her friend rave about cooking their desired cravings over and over again, that made me decide to start learning to cook. Well, I must admit that I often imagine myself fighting while cooking a fish (holding a pot cover shielding myself) and make a mess just preparing ingredients (with probably half being wasted)... and this is why I never attempted to cook.

But, in spite of all these, I guess we all have phases we go through and I do hope that cooking will become part of me and not fade off with time..

So, my first attempt was baking cooking chocochip coffee with cream cheese muffin! Well, thanks to a wonderful fuss-free recipe from thelazychef! but of course without an oven but a electric turbo-boiler



Slightly modified version of thelazychef's recipe:

INGREDIENTS FOR FLOUR MIX:

1 1/2 cups self raising flour

1/2 cup white sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 cup mini hersheys chocolate chips

1/4 cup vegetable oil

1 egg

2 tbsp Baileys/Kahlua/Orange Juice

2 tsp instant coffee dissolved in 1 tbsp hot water (But i used coffee milk from meiji)

1/3 cup milk

Mix the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and hersheys chocolate chips. Pour oil (well, i used olive oil) into 1 measuring cup; add egg, the coffee milk from meiji, Baileys and more coffee milk to fill the cup.Mix this with teh flour mixture.

INGREDIENTS FOR CREAM CHEESE TOPPING:

125g cream cheese (basically half of a 250g tub i bought)

1 tsp vanilla essence

60g icing sugar (but i used about 4 full teaspoons as I have a weighing scale-less kitchen as well)

1 egg

DIRECTIONS:

1) Preheat turbo boiler to 190 degrees

2) Create muffin batter as instructed above.

3) Spoon batter to fill 1/2 the muffin cases. (if your case is bigger than normal, fill it to 3/4)

4) Cook in turbo boiler for 10 minutes at 110 degrees (my first attempt at cooking it at 190 degrees had my muffins burnt)

5) Mix ingredients for cream cheese till fluffy and well combined.

6) Remove muffins from oven and carefully spoon the fluffy cream cheese mixture over.

7) Return to the turbo boiler and cook it for another 15 minutes at 110 degrees or till cheese topping turns a nice color.. if you like your cheese more burnt, wait till it turns more golden brown :)

Sift some cocoa powder and icing sugar over the top if desired!! (well, for mothers day, i used the hershey mini kisses to form a heart shape at the top of the muffin!)

1 Comments:

Blogger Rene said...

Hi! This is the first time I am checking out your blog. Your muffins looks good! Hope to see more pics here!

6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home